Game of the Goose (Giocho dell'Oca)
by Signora Giata Maddalena Alberti
As researched by Signora Giata Alberti ~email@example.com
Players take turns rolling two dice and moving their pawn around the board by the sum of their roll. The board has all the same special spaces that Goose games throughout its history have included:
• The Bridge on space 6 that advances the player to space 12.
Inn on space 19 where
the traveler tarries for one turn.
• The Well on space 31, where the visitor loses 2 turns.
• The Maze of space 42, wherein the traveler loses the way and returns to space 30.
• The Dungeon on space 52, where the prisoner remains until another arrives and the two trade places. An additional means of escape is to roll a 9 and go to one of the fields with dice.
• Space 58, where a cooked goose appears in place of the traditional Grim Reaper, sends the player back to start.
A lucky throw of 9 at the beginning of the spiral path advances a player to one of the fields with geese (6+3 goes to space 26, 4+5 goes to space 53).
Landing on any of the pretty geese doubles a player's move.
To win, a roll must land you exactly on 63. The surplus is counted by moving backwards from 63.
[Source: Fleurty Herald]